Developer’s Handbook

The first step in any type of development, construction, or occupying a building is to determine what permits are needed if any.

Subdividing property, changing the zoning or even what type of business occupies an existing building may trigger special approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council at a public hearing.

Even normal construction, remodeling, plumbing, electrical or mechanical work may also require special licensing by the State and drawings prepared by professionally licensed architects or engineers that have to be reviewed by the city or other agencies, such as, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) prior to a permit being issued.

Before signing contracts on the purchase or lease of property please contact the City of Terrell first to determine what approvals are needed in order to make informed decisions before making expensive commitments.

Types of work that typically require permits from the city include:

  • New Construction
  • Additions
  • Remodeling
  • Fencing
  • Plumbing
  • Utility Work
  • Electrical Work
  • Mechanical or Air Conditioning Work
  • Concrete or Paving Work
  • Signage
  • Roofing
  • Demolition
  • Leveling
  • Grading
  • Tree Removal
  • Irrigation or Drainage Work, etc.

This list is not exhaustive and other work may or may not require a permit, in any case, please contact the City before starting any work in order to avoid expensive corrective actions.

Texas Local Government Code and State Statutes and Laws may also apply as well as the City of Terrell Code of Ordinances, International Building Codes and National Electrical Code which all construction must adhere to. These ordinances and codes are revised from time to time so it is always prudent to check with the City prior to designing or bidding out your project to make sure you are current with any changes that may have occurred.