Adopt a pet
Come make a new friend and adopt an animal from our shelter.
If you are looking for a family pet, the shelter has a steady supply of dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. Animals Pictured Here may or may not be available at the time you visit the shelter as pets are being adopted on a continuous basis.
The City of Terrell does not pick up or house animals from outside the city limits. However, you are not required to be a Terrell resident to adopt or reclaim an animal from the shelter.
Hours of Operation:
- Monday 10am to 5pm
Tuesday through Friday 10am to 7pm
Saturdays 7am to 4pm
- 2601 Hwy. 80 East, City of Terrell, Texas
Located on the north side of U.S. Highway 80 near the city limits on the east side of town – Map
- In the interest of keeping the public informed of the Capacity for Care status of the shelter, a system has been developed to characterize the MAXCAP Alert Status of the population of the shelter – Read Policy.
- Remember to Register Your Pet – It’s the Law and It Helps Us Care for the Animals!
- Getting animals adopted is our ultimate goal and we will work with you to get that done. We do accept returned animals after adoption, but no fees will be returned. Additionally, the ASPCA may be contacted regarding the transfer of an animal, if preferred.
- You will pay a single fee to cover all legally required adoption fees for an animal adopted from our shelter. The single fee means more convenience for our adopting families. You simply sign the Adoption Agreement and pay a fee of $72.00 without a heartworm test or $82.30 with the heartworm test to the City of Terrell. IF the animal is not already spayed/neutered and vaccinated against rabies.
- We will immediately schedule your animal for pre-paid spay/neuter/vaccination services with the City’s veterinarian. The animal will then be dropped off for the vet services and picked up afterward. When you pick up your new pet, the single fee pays for the veterinary services, as well as City of Terrell Registration for city residents.
- If you wish to pay an additional $10 fee, we will microchip the animal for you while you wait. Microchipping is optional at our shelter, but it is highly recommended as an aid to identifying your pet if it is lost.
- We only accept cash and checks as payments at the Animal Shelter.
Available Animals for Adoption: