Transfer or Disconnect

Contact the Utility office to transfer service to a new address or to disconnect your service.

Make transfer/disconnect requests at least 24 hours prior to your move. When an account is closed, the deposit is applied to the final balance. If there is no balance, a refund check will be issued.

If you live in an area that does not have City water or sewer service, contact the Engineering Department at 972-551-6600 for information and requirements for service.